The Historical Vehicle Troop is responsible for the maintenance and operation of vehicles and equipment formerly employed with the Regiment. Its mandate is to preserve the storied history the Regiment holds, in the form of tangible and operational mounts which can be observed and appreciated by the public. It is staffed entirely by volunteer members. Although most are currently serving Dragoons, the Troop receives a generous amount of expertise, help, and donations from members outside of the Regiment, as well as from the Ontario Regiment RCAC Museum. Currently, the HVT holds an Ordnance BL 12 pounder 6cwt Light Field Gun, a 1940 Chevrolet T17 E1 Staghound Armored Car, and a 1954 Daimler Ferret Scout Car Mk.1.
The 12 pounder, used during the Second Boer War, has been beautifully restored and is often flanked by members of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery while on parade. The Staghound is currently under restoration but is in operational shape thanks to the extensive efforts of the Ontario Regiment RCAC museum. The Ferret, which was used from 1954-1981, was restored at the turn of the century. Interestingly enough, it is number 1 of 124 Ferrets acquired by the CAF. It’s in the process of having its livery updated to reflect the RCD service in Cyprus. All are displayed during notable Regimental events and when the opportunity arises.
The upkeep of these relics requires hours of research and networking in order to source information on their technical aspects or operation. Members often have to dig deep into Regimental archives and service manuals to troubleshoot problems or conduct repairs. Parts are scarce, and when unavailable must be fabricated from scratch, or sourced from derelict examples such as monuments when permitted. The Troop takes pride in restoring these mounts as they pay homage to Dragoons who’ve gone before. Plus, what better way to keep history alive than to have it smoking out the crowd and oiling the parade square, right?