GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY FOR
The New Building for
The Royal Canadian Dragoons
“Building Y-137”
Garrison Petawawa
24 June 2020

CONSECRATION CEREMONY FOR
The 5th Guidon - The Royal Canadian Dragoons
Worthington Parade Square
Garrison Petawawa
24 June 2020

CHANGE OF COMMAND PARADE
The Royal Canadian Dragoons
Worthington Parade Square
Garrison Petawawa
25 June 2020

RCD ASSOCIATION
RV 2020
Pembroke, Ontario
26 - 28 June 2020


Calendar / Events
Copyright © The Guild of The Royal Canadian Dragoons 2020. All right reserved.
Scarlet Guard
When the Regiment was first established in 1883, they were equipped with uniforms from Colonel Turnbull’s former unit the Queen’s Own Canadian Hussars. The Royal Canadian Dragoons adopted the scarlet uniform as their ceremonial dress in 1892 when the Cavalry School was officially named the Canadian Dragoons.

The Royal Canadian Dragoons Musical ride was first established in 1893 a natural outcome for a Cavalry unit and continued through to the start of WW II. They wore scarlets as their official uniform. Their last big hurrah was the 1938 American National Horse Show at Madison Square Gardens in New York, the horses were all gone by 1940.

The Dragoons provided many mounted escorts dressed is scarlets over the years, notably for Royal visits, Governor General reviews, and visits of other heads of state. The last such escort was for Prince Charles in 2009.

The Royal Canadian Dragoons band was established about the same time in 1893 and they served until Unification in 1968 when they were amalgamated with the Royal Canadian Signals Corps Band in Kingston, known as the Vimy Band. They also wore the scarlet uniform. Those scarlet uniforms were turned into the Base Gagetown Museum and were the source for scarlet uniforms for the Guidon Party and escorts up until the Regimental Centennial in 1983. One of the first official photographs of the Guidon Party in scarlets was in the 1980 edition of the Springbok.

For the Regimental Centennial in 1983 the Guidon Party was dressed in scarlets along with a few escorts and parade markers. Two soldiers were dressed scarlets and mounted on horseback as escorts during the Freedom of the City of Fredericton. These uniforms all came from the Regimental Museum and leftover uniforms from the band. It was at this point that The Royal Canadian Dragoons Guild under the guidance of the Colonel of the Regiment George Bell commenced a project to rebuild the Scarlet Guard uniforms.

By 1998 When the Regiment were presented with their fourth Guidon the Regiment was able to parade a 30-man scarlet guard. By 2000 for the Century of Service Parade on Parliament Hill in Ottawa the Regiment was able to mount a 50-man scarlet guard with the Strathcona’s and the RCR.

In 2005 David Batten joined the Guild and subsequently became the Patron of the Regiment. It was through his generosity and energy that the Guild was able to equip 100 soldiers in scarlets with all the accoutrements and brass helmets in three short years.

The goal had always been, to be able to mount a 100-man scarlet guard and that was achieved on the 125th Anniversary when the Scarlet Guard paraded on Parliament Hill.

Today the Guild continues to fund the maintenance and purchase of replacement uniforms and accoutrements so that the regiment can maintain a 100-man Guard. The Canadian Forces recognize the existence of the Guard and have tasked/requested their presence on several occasions but have never provided any official funding.